Individual Histories and Anecdotes
When the idea of a regimental history was raised in 1992, the first step was to obtain information from as many members of the 9th as possible. Ray Gordon, the secretary of the QSFA, put out a request in the Newsletter for anything that might be of value and interest to such a history. The response was excellent. We had 46 replies, and the contributions included written recollections, photographs, tapes, maps, log-books and other items.
Many of the extracts in Tank Tracks were included from these memories.
In this section of our website we reproduce the complete text of the individual memories. There has been some editing to avoid duplication etc, and in some cases a preamble explains the background to the contribution.
Since the publication of Tank Tracks we have received a number of additional personal histories etc. These are also part of this section. We intend to add more as time goes by.
- Akass, Douglas - My War
- Beale, Peter - A Light Convalescence
- Bellamy, Derek (Rigger) - Letters to Peter Beale
- Cordiner, Crombie
- Greenwood, Trevor - Link to index for Trevor's war diary,'One day at a time',
and for his letters to his wife, 1940 to 1945. His letters during the
NW Europe campaign have been placed on this site with permission.
- Grey, Taffy - A Word From Wales
- Hall, R.S. - Dickie Hall Remembers
- Hodges, John - John Hodges' Diary
- Hurt, Harry - Monty, Crackers, and the Squadron Fund
- Hutton, Jim - Jim Hutton Remembers
- Mennim, Tommy - Search for a grave
- Powell, John
- Rees, Cyril - A Trooper's Tale
- Theobald, John - My Grandfather, John ("Jack") Theobald's Reminiscences
- Thompson, Bill - From a Boy to a Man
- Vardy, Arthur - Arthur (Zeke) Vardy's Picture Pages
- Woods, Jack - War Memories